SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crealock 37 Wheel to Tiller Conversion
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

karlinD is on a distinguished road
Re: Crealock 37 Wheel to Tiller Conversion

My 37 was fitted with a wheel and the factory made the switch to the original standards. Actually it was mostly straight forward to convert and without problems. The original rudder-post head and tiller head hardware was perhaps the largest obstacle. I searched worldwide for the original parts and finally found what was nearly identical but still off. The post in the PSC 37 is nearly perpendicular to the water line and the one I found with the big post size was from a vessell that had the post angled much greater than the 37. My fix turned out to be a custom teak and ash tiller (glued on a jig with several layers) that compensated for the angle. The larger cockpit is a huge benefit and the tiller allows real "feel" of the boat. Auto pilot can be very interesting by setting the pilot-arm on the coaming with the tiller flipped reverse (going backwards - a Tor Pinney supplied directive) however the maxium size auto tiller is borderline adequate. Click this link to see the tiller prior to having a custom tiller handle made.

Windflower at the Factory pictures by kkdtrader - Photobucket

If you send to me an email, I can show you new photos that show the close up of the final product.

In the end, I would easily suggest the expense and trouble to have the tiller was well worth the effort for me.

Best,

Karlin
WINDFLOWER
PSC 37 #288
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook