SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
...If your boat is not to badly oxidized Ultra Cutting Creme with a 3M #05713 pad can get you there in just one step plus the wax..! This is my absolute favorite product for compounding / polishing...
Since my boat was in pretty good shape (only 13 years old, maintained OK by previous owners - I mainly needed to remove some stale yellowed wax), I followed this part of MS's advice. The result looks great.

After the one-step port side compound/polish using the Presta, I started a glaze step using Maguire's #9 (since I could not find Presta Chroma locally). However, after doing a small section, it was having absolutely no effect on the appearance, so I stopped after glazing the port side bootstripe. The next day I did the Presta cream on the starboard side, and I was racing against the diminishing shade on that side, so I did not even glaze the bootstripe. If there are invisible swirl marks that will speed up oxidation, I expect that I'll see a difference between the boot stripes on the two sides of the boat. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
...Do I apply the wax by hand? Yes!...
In previous years I had used a 6" palm orbital buffer for the Collinite Fleet wax, but this time I found that with the superior surface prep (compound/polish to a high gloss before waxing), the wax buffed out easily by hand with microfiber rag - no need for the electric buffer. It also seemed to take much less wax than it did before, probably due to the reduced surface area.

Also, for boats with only mild oxidation, a big Makita polisher might be overkill. I tried using my 6" orbital buffer to compound/polish the sides of the cabin using Presta Ultra cream, and it easily removed the stale wax and mild oxidation, leaving a surface gloss that was equal in appearance to the hull. For small boats that don't need a 9" pad, and for intricate details that are too small to fit such a large polisher, the smaller buffer seemed to work OK. It's a lot easier on the arms and back, as well. Once again, over time I'll get an idea how this part of the boat holds up vs. the different technique that I used for the hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-16-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook