SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

I think my gelcoat is too far gone to ever look 'great' again, but I'm getting some very satisfying results using the techniques in this thread.

The boat is 30 years old and was taken by the marina for unpaid fees. The last reg sticker is 2008 so it has been on the hard and ignored for at least three years; hard to imagine that the PO kept up with all the maintenance and then never paid the slip fees, so let's assume the neglect started a couple of years before '08.

I wasted some time with rubbing compound when I should have started with 1000 grit sandpaper. I backtracked and did the sanding. It was getting late in the day and I wanted to have something to show for my efforts, so I did the 'full monty' on the first 2 feet of the port side (I had already scraped off the old reg letters and prepped the upper part).

Wet sand
Compound by hand
Polish
Wax (2 coats)

Neither the polish nor the wax are all they could be because I didn't have the bonnets to do them with the buffer (plus the shop was locked up, no power anyway). But what I have looks a helluva lot better. It should look a little better every year that I compound it.

In the pic, you can see some kind of reflection from the boat next door and nothing in the unimproved area. Also the forward 2 feet of the boot stripe looks much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZA gelcoat sm.jpg (52.1 KB, 41 views)

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook