SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single Handed Sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006

englishseadog is on a distinguished road
Wink

Whilst I concur with the previous posters, I firmly believe that the single most important thing about single-handing is to get to know your vessel!
If necessary, take a few weeks just doing 'circuits and bumps'. Run your warps from various cleating points and see how she pulls alongside. You may find that if you tie off to a midships cleat, then as you approach the pontoon, drop the warp over a mooring cleat,and tie the helm hard over towards the pontoon whilst still powering slow ahead. This action/counter action will bring the vessel gently alongside. Once again, practise makes perfect. This I have proved to work with everything from RIBs to 1500 DWT
Once you have become a part of the vessel, and have gained sufficient confidence to go out on the blue - Always make sure that someone knows where you are going, and when you can be expected to come ashore.
Is your Coastguard aware of your vessel, and have you informed them about your intentions?
I am not trying to teach granny how to suck eggs, because all of this should be second nature to us all.
I have been a lone sailor for many years, and I think that one of the reasons that I have survived so long is that, until I become a working part of the boat, I am not ready to go anywhere!
There are old sailors, and there are bold sailors. There are very few old bold sailors!
The main thing is to enjoy!

ESD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook