On my E37 it seemed the factory applied the vinyl head liner in one piece when the deck was upside down.
How I did it was use ¼ inch plywood and cut it into pieces to fit the origional sections between the battens, and placed the joints under the battens that run across the ceiling. I split it down the middle as well to keep the pieces small and managable. I sprayed contact cement on the plywood, and glued ¼ inch foam to it and then glued new vinyl on top, wrapped it around the edges and used SS staples to hold it. By keeping the sections small it was not a bad job. The only tough spot was the support post near the nav station, I ended up splitting a section at the post, half in front and half aft. There is lots of deck to hold screws so I used wood screws with fender washers in the joints between the sections, the battens cover the washers and also screws are between the sections.
I was able to do a so so match on the batten material by buying oak moulding the same size and staining it to match.
Now if I have a leak I can just remove one piece of batten and drop the section of ceiling.
This is a link to my site of the headliner job.
Endeavour 37 headliner