SailNet Community - View Single Post - no start Yanmar
Thread: no start Yanmar
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road
Re: no start Yanmar

I will let the comment about being upside down through to the keeper - this time....

OK, I will be good boy and try WD-40 rather than ether- and as hard as it will be to do - try full throttle. I suppose as long as I stick with my habit of cranking it a few turns with the valves de-compressed, there will be some oil circulated before it lights up. It's a bit of a reach from the starter panel (inside cabin) out to the throttle lever in the cockpit, so the chances of pulling it back to idle as it fires will be dependent on my agility.

Also, it is rarely as cold as 10 deg C in Tasmania - except maybe in the mountains. The sea water temperature has not so far been below 15 deg C (*68 F from memory), which I wouldn't describe as cold. In the summer further north in the sub-tropics I was running the engine on SAE 40 oil but went down to SAE 30 at the last oil change in the hope that it would make it easier to start. Not much difference.

Anyone else with experience of needing to pull the head and do a valve job on a 2GM salt water engine at only 400 hours? Obviously I am very reluctant to do this until I have exhausted all other possibilities.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook