SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Switch
Thread: Battery Switch
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012
njasailor

njadventure is on a distinguished road
Battery Switch

So I thought I knew something about boat wiring because I could install a autopilot, VHF, 12v fans..ect, you get the point, until I started reading Nigel Calders' book and I've come to the conclusion that I know nothing regarding 12v electrical systems.

I have a 27 year old Tartan 33 with 7 year old Group 24 Deep Cycle AGM batteries that either need to be replaced immediately or will shortly. I also have a Phase 3 Battery Charger and a Balmar voltage regulator. I'm trying to draw a schematic and due to the routing of the cables, I'm not sure how the battery switch is wired. So checking the starter solenoid post and the engine ground with a volt meeting, I get these readings:

Battery switch off- no volts
Position 1- 12.6v
Position 2- 11.8v
Both- 12.2v

I didn't check voltage at the batteries which I will do the next time. I did turn on the battery charger and the voltage read 13.8 in the both position.

So my first of many questions to come is should I have seen voltage at the starter post in both position 1 & 2. In my limited knowledge, I would think if one battery was dedicated as a starter and the other as a house, there would no voltage in one of the positions. I could be way off in my thinking.

Thanks