SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crealock 37
Thread: Crealock 37
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Crealock 37

I would counter by saying who says the PSC 37 lacks reserve buoyancy, and lacks reserve buoyancy compared to what?

Reserve buoyancy is defined as the buoyancy provided above the intact waterplane of the vessel.

So, any discussion of reserve buoyancy really has to take into consideration the design of the hullform as a whole. Crealock designed the 37 as a double-ender (aka canoe stern or cruiser stern) and in order to bring the stern back to a point requires reducing the beam as you move aft. A typical modern cruiser with a reverse transom (Beneteau, etc.) has the cutaway transom with boarding area, etc., so more of the full beam can be carried back aft, providing volume, etc.

That said, much of the cutaway on the reverse transom type hullforms can entrain alot of water, and while water can in theory enter the drain hole on the PSC propane locker, I would still consider this intact buoyancy. So, based on the overall buoyancy and potential loading curves of a PCS 37 and reverse transom, I'd say that the PCS actually has as much or more reserve buoyancy. Particularly considering that the distribution of that buoyancy on a reverse transom hullform is much further forward. Also, the additional loading of the weight aft results in "trim." "Squat" would occur as the vessel's stern is pulled down due to increasing speed or shallow water effects.

Then there's a whole bunch of other stuff on hullforms and transoms on seakeeping, speed, etc., but that's for another post.

Hope this helps.