SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2012 Sailing Season

23K views 198 replies 23 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
I guess I might as well get this one started.

As mentioned in another thread we're going to try to have monthly raft ups on the Bay. All are welcome. Locations will be announced later but will probably start in March. Last summer when we had one each boat brought an appetizer to contribute and that seemed to work out well.

Hopefully we can also look forward to the annual Sailnet Rendezvous in June.

Let's go sailing!

#69 ·
Dave,

I don't think we've really made much progress beyond the status update Donna provided a few weeks ago back in Post 39 except that adams3287 tentatively volunteered to take the last weekend in May at either Spring Cove Marina or St. Leonard Creek. That was toward the middle of last week and adams hasn't been back to confirm. I also suggested a simultaneous northern bay event if May is going to be as far south as Solomons, but so far there hasn't been any response to that suggestion.

Bryan

#70 ·
Dave,

We have taken October meeting at Cakaway for annual geese follies and circus there

I know its close to ( 2 weeks ) from the 4th Annual Rondevous on June 9 at MTC but Donna and I have the three days around Memorial Day weekend availaable. I know its close to the Rondevous at MYC ( 2 weeks) but we are game for a roving raft up.

Here are a couple of scenarios for us. We would welcome company 1 or two of the nights

All of these can be reverseed if the wind suggests it that wekend

Greys Inn Creek on the Chester (Sat) - Shaw/Dividing on the Wye (Sun)

Sassafrass (Sat)- Worton (Sunday)

Rhode (High Bar) Sat (Wye ( Sunday)

Corsica ( Sat) Wye or Aberdeen ( Sunday)

Any joiners, takers or other suggestions?

Dave

#78 ·
Greys Inn Creek on the Chester (Sat) - Shaw/Dividing on the Wye (Sun)

Sassafrass (Sat)- Worton (Sunday)

Rhode (High Bar) Sat (Wye ( Sunday)

Corsica ( Sat) Wye or Aberdeen ( Sunday)

Any joiners, takers or other suggestions?
Sounds like some nice possibilities. Put us down as a maybe - I might be helping to deliver a boat that weekend.

#71 · (Edited)
April 28/29-
May 26/27-
June 9/10 3rd annual Sailnet Rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club ( Chef2sail)(Rock Creek)
July 28/29- Jaye (WingnWing) and Dan ( I think it was Back Creek)
August 25/26-
September 29/30-
October 27/28- Donna and Dave ( Chef2sail) Cackaway ( Langford Creek-Chester)
November 20/21-

I beleive Bubblehead is looking to host one month on the Rhode River also, and as mentioned Adams said something about May in Solomons- Spring Cove on the Pauxtuxet. I think thats what we have so far.

Dave

#72 ·
I am unable to host the April gathering. I have a family obligation that I've been attempting to get out of, but I simply can't.

I apologize for the delay in confirming or denying the hosting for that weekend, but I wanted to be sure before I committed. Sorry, folks. :(

#73 ·
I can take 29-30 September in Rhode River off Camp Letts, which happens to coincide with the SSCA Annapolis GAM. *grin* The infrastructure will be all there. Seriously I'm happy to invite Sailnetters to attend. You don't have to buy a ticket if you don't want to attend the GAM - we can have a potluck dinner in the anchorage.

For those interested, although the program isn't final yet, I can tell you that the famous Herb Hilgenberg will be joining us for his only speaking engagement during his 25th anniversary year. Herb will be reflecting on changes in the cruising community and the provision of weather forecasting and routing since he first began providing that service in 1987.

I think there will be a dinghy raft-up on Thursday evening, a potluck on Friday night, Herb sometime Saturday afternoon, and many presentations and seminars Saturday and Sunday (you need a ticket for Herb and for the presentations, seminars, and flea market).

Disclaimer: I'm on the Board of Directors of SSCA. See Welcome to the Seven Seas Cruising Association .

#74 ·
April 28/29-
May 26/27-
June 9/10 3rd annual Sailnet Rendezvous at the Maryland Yacht Club ( Chef2sail)(Rock Creek)
July 28/29- Jaye (WingnWing) and Dan ( I think it was Back Creek)
August 25/26-
September 29/30- Dave (Auspicious) and Janet SSCA Annapolis GAM in Rhode River at Camp Letts
October 27/28- Donna and Dave ( Chef2sail) Cackaway ( Langford Creek-Chester)
November 20/21-

#76 ·
Never heard back from you about the food service ideas for the GAM meals. Were you able to work everything out? PM me about it sometime.
Still catching up after our mini-cruise, and I'm leaving Saturday for a delivery from Cape Canaveral to Deale. Want to come?

#79 ·
Didn't get out till late tonight so we sailed a little and achored further up Rock Creek past Oak Harbor. Good sailing day as the rain and T storms stayed south of the bridge.

Tomorrow looks like. A better day but wind reduces to 5-10.

Next week we want to head south or Chester River.

Dave

#80 ·
The weatherman sure threw me a curve. Yesterday, 85 degrees, cloudy and threatened rain all day. I spent 5 hours masking everything from the rub-rail to the toe-rail, ports, etc..., used 150-feet of blue tape. Too pooped to begin painting at that point. Weather predictions for today were for sunny, mid 70s, light wind, low humidity--perfect conditions for painting with 2-part epoxy paint. Got out of bed, temperature was 52 degrees, drizzling, and the prediction was for much of the same for the remainder of the day. The next, predicted, day I will be able to paint is Thursday--wonderful!

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

#81 ·
We also woke up surprised not to see the cloud cover and drizzle burning off. Unfortunately it seems like we only get about 4 ideal days a year to paint a boat around here! That's part of the reason why I decided to procrastinate one more season on repainting my decks.

We sailed down to the Magothy yesterday with 8-10 knots. Wind picked up to 14+ once we turned into the river and looking at the skies it seemed almost certain we'd see a storm. But it was a fun close-hauled ride up the river. Things settled down as we went behind Gibson Island and dropped the hook in the anchorage across from the horse farm. On the ride back today it was definitely chilly with variable winds. Luckily the sun did peak out for a couple of welcome hours.

#82 ·
We just hung out in the Patapsco today. Went down to the Inner Harbor and back taking advantage of the fact so few boats were not out for a change on a Monday. Must have missed you when you came back Bryan as we sailed back and forth between Old Round Bat and Rock Creek the las two hours between 4-6.

Dave

#83 ·
Looks like we are headed either to the Chester ( Greys Inn Creek or Corsica) this weekend, . Appears to be light winds but reat sleeping weather.

Where is everyone else headed?

Dave

#85 ·
Come a little further up the Chester to Davis Creek and you can cheer us on putting another coat of bottom paint on..:) FYI..Lankford Bay Marina now has a 16 passenger bus to haul people back and forth to town on the weekends..

Regards,

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Lankford Bay Marina

#84 ·
Homeward! We leave Great Bridge today, 3-4 travel days to Annapolis (sitting out the rain predicted for Mon/Tues). It's been a wonderful winter, but we're looking forward to being back in the Chesapeake.

#87 ·
Looks like an interesting weekend setting up with good sunny weather and wind,,,,from the NE. I am going out solo this weekend as Donna is working. Our club may be having one of its mini-vous which we have on every third weekend where we meet at the pavillion at 9:30 to discuss where we might go for a raft up..or anchor up.

It might be a good weekend to do Worton or the Chester again. Sunday calling for 10-15 with gusts to 20 from the NE would make it a pleasent ride home from both anchorages.

While I do love going out with my wife most weekends, it is kind of a challange to do it by myself. Where is everyone else headed to?

Dave

#91 · (Edited)
Went over to Swan Creek as our club had a "mini-vous" which is an semi spontaneious rondevous where the captains meet at the Pavillion on Sat AM at 9:30 and decide if we want to raft up for cocktails at the same destination. Those who want to go...go those who dont...dont no remorse. Any way we have an active sailfleet of 42 boats so sometimes it makes for great fun.

Donna worked this weekend so I went with the minvousers and hung out with 5 boats in Swan Creek. We rafted for 4 hours of cocktails (hmmmm) and then two of the boats broke off and we retired for the evening. We did blow our conch at sunset as is the tradition we have found in Swan Creek

This morining we took off for the jaunt home. Can you say sleigh ride. winds N to NE at 15 to 20. I spotted the Pride of Baltimore coming out of the Chester River and followed her across the Bay. I took I pad pictures between steering. Came across under reefed 155 jib only and average 6+ knots.

Notice to Mariners::::::Crab pots....First group after rounding the green can3 at the end of the Swan Point Bar and heading toward the Patpsco between Swan Point Channel Range markers 5 and 7. There was a cluster "F" of points of many different avrieties put down by a skitsophrenic. Most of the time you can pick out the patterns and line drops....not here it was a mismosh of different colors as well as different crabbers . It went on for half a mile. Next conglomeration was at convergence of the Craighill Channel and Brewerton Channel acrros the Bay entering the Patapsco. Usually many traps near Bodkin, but have never seen the amount ( 100s) and no defined pattern like I saw today in both places, Thes were specifically between the Red26 of the Craighill Channel and the Green 9 of the Brewerton Channel. Avoid both of these areas if you can as once in the middle of this its no way out except very carefully.

The trip from Rock Hall to the slip was 3.5 hours, Thats moving.

Next weekend 3 days...Looks like Wye and Chester for overnights, but could be motivated to change.

Dave

#92 ·
Thanks for the crab pot update, Dave.

We were down at our boat yesterday. Sounds like I need to get a conch shell and practice so that I can answer the Swan Creek shell. :) Still some tweaking to be done by the mechanics on the new engine but next weekend we plan on a 3-day work weekend to clean and replace. I didn't want to commit to any more sailing dates beyond what we already had until I got a handle on getting the boat back in order.

So it looks like the rendezvous will be our first big sail! We're looking forward to it.

#93 ·
Glad to hear you are getting your boat back together. Looking forward to see you and John at the Rondevous. I ma y ebb taking Haleakula over to Harbor Haven to have the shaft replaced after Memorial Day weekend. They do great work there and far cheaper labor rate than this side of the Bay.

Dave

#94 ·
Sounds like a nice weekend Dave.

We had a graduation party Saturday night so no overnights for us. I was down Saturday working on the cabintop handrail replacement and brightwork. Want to get her looking good for the rendezvous! Also installed the Boomkicker I got for Christmas. So far I’m a satisfied customer.

Yesterday we took some friends out and sailed around the mouth of the river and into the bay. Couldn’t have asked for a nicer sailing day!

I might be up for a raft up next Saturday night – but I’ll be flying (or sailing) solo.

#95 ·
Got back last week from a 12-day trip (May 5-16) down and up the bay.

Almost made it to Norfolk this time, but my experienced crew member had to bail out at midnight the first night, had to wait for weather a few days, then my less experienced crew had to get home so he left the boat at St. Mary's City, then I was on my own. Saw a sea turtle at Smith Point and some dolphins off of Tilghman's Island. I posted some dumb videos here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.