SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not Sure Wich Winch to use
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Not Sure Wich Winch to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
This is a great idea, the PO showed ne 22 different cup races he won with this PHRF boat. He has Alzheimer's disease now, But one thing he told me over and over is not to change the sailing layout. He said its a well oiled and proven single handed boat. I just can’t take him out with me to show me how to run the rigging. Not to mention I'm new to the whole thing. But Its coming together now. I am beginning to slowly get the kinks out. I did make it on a 25 mile run last Sunday. But it is so great to have folks willing to share their knowledge with newbie’s like me. This past weekend I never hooked to the track at all with a jib sheet. I only put a snatch block on the toe rail. This did not help. So this coming weekend I will go to the boat without taken her out and try to figure out the sheet, Blocks, tracks, and such.
The primary focus in positioning the genoa block on the track is to ensure that the jib is not twisted, i.e. the luff has the same angle to the wind from top to bottom.
The simple rule for finding the optimum position, is when sailing closehauled, luff slowly:
- if the top windward telltale lifts first, move the block forward,
- if the bottom lifts first, move the block aft,
- if they both lift at the same time, you are set.

From this proper position, you do some finetuning by moving the block slightly forward to power-up or slightly aft to de-power.