SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 30 vs. Hunter 30
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Catalina 30 vs. Hunter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Darkwing xX View Post
Sadly the whole wants vs can afford to have issue is rearing its ugly head. Being new I don't want to go to big and end up not enjoying the boat yet I contest to get an older boat and be forced into serious maintenance issues. I think I wants 35-38 lot Catalina, maybe beneteau at this point. Maybe as old as 92 ish.
I wouldn't assume that an older boat means forcing yourself into serious maintenance issues. A 20 year old boat can easily require serious maintenance if it hasn't been kept up - twenty year old rigging, sails, engine, upholstery etc. are, or can be at the end of their lives.

There are LOTS of old boats that are in perfect condition and lots of quite new boats in need of serious work - see an ex-charter boat for illustration.

It sounds to me that an old Catalina 38 (The S&S / Yankee version), if well kept, would be ideal for you. There are currently 15 of them on YW, asking from $20K to $55K. Picking up one of them for say, $32K and spending some more for new sails, running rigging and upholstery will still bring you in well below a comparable used boat 15 years old. The condition of the engine will be a critical point in which boat to choose though - that can get REAL expensive.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook