SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hello

584 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Richard61 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that the kids have gone and I have only 1.25 years of college to pay for I am looking to get back into sailing. The boats look safer and there are a lot more education opportunities available than when I started to sail.

I started sailing when I was 11 and sailed small boats (mostly dingys) in Langston Harbor and Porstmouth Harbor for many years. I raced Fleetwind, Cherub, Laser, Contender, 5o5 and Fireball extensively for close to 15 years and managed to take home a little silver wear! I also crewed on larger (boats were smaller then) boats 25 – 27 ft, and skippered boats across the English Channel a few times (lots of shipping!) so I Learned a lot about sailing a variety of boats in a variety of conditions.

I then move to the east coast of the US and sailed on and off for close to 16 years in some larger dingys (Lighting and Thistle) and did some evening around the buoys racing for a couple of years on Long Island Sound in and older IOR ½ tonner, my favorite crew position was mainsheet trimmer (nice and dry!). At the same time I bought and family sailed a Catalina 30 for 5 years and spent many summer weekends with my wife and kids on board (my daughter was one when she stated sailing). Trips from Westbrook CT to Mystic CT and Block Island RI were a regular summer s events.

Life took me to a landlocked state so I sold the boat and satisfied my sailing urge by chartering a few times in the BVI with the family.

Fast forward to now I live in Northern CA and have started to sail again and am teaching my wife to sail we both decided to take dome ASA classes (never too old to learn!) since I cannot charter in the US without the paper!

So far it has been fun; I ended up doing the MOB for ASA101 in about 18- 20 knots of wind in SF bay so it was good experience, the wind had been slowly getting up all day and it was nice to let the Capri 25 fly a bit!

Undecided about buying a boat but we might jump in and do some extensive cruising in a few years!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.