SailNet Community - View Single Post - Midlife crisis Here I come!
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road
Smile Midlife crisis Here I come!

Well here goes. My nane is Richard and last year I had a couple heart attacks. So I figured if the good Lord was going to take me I was going to try something I have been waiting my whole life for. The last time I went sailing I was 16 at my church summer camp and when I grew up I was always going to buy my own boat. So I started internet shopping for a boat to sail in the Green Bay , Lake Michigan area and had narrowed my choices down to a Catalina27 and a Pearson30. I went to a local charity auction yard to look at a Catalina27( its up for sale again till monday current bid 1700) And while I was there I came accrost a PY26 Paceship on a duel axel trailer. There was something about this boat that spoke to my Heart. Well after 3 trips to surrvey the old girl I pulled the trigger and bought here. She is now in my driveway waiting for the marina to onen in May to splash her and get sailing. My plans for this year include Door County, Fayette Michigan and a end of summer sail to the mighty Mac this fall. It has been a blast cleaning her up and getting her ready for sailing. The reason I went for this boat over the bigger ones I first was looking at was the trailer. With the trailer next summer I will be able to pull her 200 miles overland and splash her in Lake Superior where the Apostle Islands and Isle Royal will keep me busy for 4-6 weeks. Isle Royal was anouther boyhood dream that I went to last summer. After planning the trip for years I took my family there last June. Hiked 3 miles to the first campground and had my first heart attack. After leaving in the rescue boat I cann't wait to return with the sailboat and beat her this time. Well as the days go by I am getting tired of driveway sailing and cann't wait to start sailing for real. See you out there somewhere, Richard , Proud owner of my new to me 1979 PY26 "Ruth Ann"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook