SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not Sure Wich Winch to use
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Not Sure Wich Winch to use

That picture is a "what not to do". It explains your problem entirely. It is clear that you need to find yourself someone who actually knows about sailing and rigging boats to sail with you just for safety sake. That is not meant as a put down, we all had to start somewhere, but there are things in that picture which are dangerously wrong to do. I understand that the prior owner may have told you don't change the rig but he is probably talking about the tuning and lead positions. But clearly that boat is not properly rigged to be sailed, by which I mean, the hardware is there and the lines (ropes) are there but there are not run properly. At the very least you should try to find a rigger or sailmaker and offer to pay for an hour or so of their time to come down and run the running rigging properly and check its condition, and perhaps teach you how to properly set up the boat to go sailing.

In that vein, Starting in the foreground with the halyard that runs through the block at the base of the mast (I assume its your main halyard). Just forward of the scrub brush is a group of blocks bolted to the deck. These are a 'deck organizer' and the halyard should run from the block at the base of the mast, through the deck organizer and then back through the halyard locks just forward of the winch. The halyard locks are a form of a cleat that allows you to use the winch for multiple functions and provides a proper lead to the winch.

The Jib sheet appears to be led straight from the clew (corner) of the jib directly to the winch. Not only is that a problem with getting over rides but it provides the wrong angle between the jib sheet and the jib. This poor lead angle would prevent you from being able to go upwind properly. As mentioned there should be a sheet lead block on the track and the jib sheet should run from the clew of the sail, through the sheet lead block and then to the winch.

But also, you really need to get all the 'stuff' off the decks when you sail so it does not end up tripping someone or jambing a line.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook