SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Yesterday we discussed with friends the possibility of successfully competing in IRC with a sailboat about 37 feet but with a crew of only 4 people. One said that it is impossible, another said a J/111 with a furler up side down for the gennaker, and another said that with furling for genoa and gennaker is possible in any boat, proposing the new Sydney GTS37.
I think it is impossible in any sailboat without upwind righting weight, but of the two options, I think the J/111 IRC design is more suitable for sailing without crew weight to windward. I think the Sydney GTS37 weightless for upwind righting will not win races.

Do you think?
The only way a short crew can compete successively in IRC is on duo or solo races The French has them and the Spanish also. The Spanish have even an amateur championship.

Actually I think it would be very interesting to have a handicap for crew or lack of it, in handicap racing.

If you want to piss big crews and big boats and be competitive in IRC sailing solo or duo, get one of these 30ft:

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook