SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help us choose a boat, please
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Help us choose a boat, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1528 View Post
You may have found your boat by now, but if not, I can tell you that in my research, while the mariners look good, watch out for the wood cockpits. Many of the forums for mariner chronicle owners rebuilding all of that. They have a good reputation inspite of that though.

I bought a Bristol 32 last year that was in decent shape for my needs for about 22K. Puget sound sailing. She didn't have much for electronics and the head is a portapotty, but essentially sound. They are rare on the west coast for sure. Mine was ordered new in '75 by a Seattle owner who had her 25 years. The second owners had her 11. I'm just the third owner. They aren't the fastest, but I did hit 7.5 briefly on the speedo last year. The accomodations are a bit tight for a 32. We haven't gone with another couple overnight yet, but it is doable. Tons of storage for stuff and tankage for water. I can carry 100 gallons. 70 in the keel and 30 in a bow tank. Although with 100' of anchor chain too, that 30 gallons puts her out of trim badly.

Good luck if you are still shopping.

Jim
That's interesting as I have a trim problem on my Bristol 31.1, due to the fact that the 100ft of anchor chain was replaced with rope. Now, even with the bow tank full, the bow rides high.

Part of the problem is that the PO added two extra batteries in the stern. Actually now I think about it, batteries are quite an economical form of ballast. Have you thought of increasing the battery capacity?

The problem is that 100ft of chain costs about $1000.