SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiki 36, Wharram design catamaran
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012

wongai64 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tiki 36, Wharram design catamaran

Many thanks to Boatsmith and Jeff H for their inspiringly articulated replies in this thread. I am in the process of looking for a boat to buy which i intend to spend many years on with my young family and learn to sail it to its apex.
I have spent many years on the water, mostly coastal cruising in power boats. The romantic ideal of sailing now has me firmly by the hip pocket and i am wanting to buy a multihull. I have looked at Searunners, Cross's and Piver because Tri's in Australia are the affordable multihull option. Im not interested in plastic
(unless someone wants to buy me a dragonfly or farrier) So when Wharrram's came into focus, my interest in Cat's resurfaced as a possible option. Much has been said about performance and perception of such but it is only the two aforementioned contributors who have given a would be/potential Wharram owner a balanced and objective view of their capabilities. I agree with you on your point of experience and sail trimming contributing to better overall performance, seamanship in navigating more windward points. Quality of build must also contribute to performance. then..If all else fails... a reliable motor to windward or anchor/beach up till the wind changes. Isn't cruising about enjoying time passing slowly?
Boatsmith, in your professional opinion.. how close to the wind will your Tiki 36 sail? Is it possible to put a pilothouse on them with dry access to the hulls?My partner loves the idea of a cat which doesnt require accessing the other hull via the elements and a lounging area for shady mohito afternoons.
Also thanks to someone ( cant remember who) for the comparison to an old Kombi.. I have always wanted one to modernise with newer technology whilst keeping the great Kombi "look".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook