SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rebuilding Yanmar 3GM30F; need advise $?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rebuilding Yanmar 3GM30F; need advise $?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
Everyone here was right on the mark. My mechanic called me this morning and stated that the Yanmars are merely bullet proof and unless it starts hard and you see smoke at cruising rpm(s), no overhaul should be done. If maintain, you can put 5000 hrs on them.

It was recommended that we pull the engine this winter which I have agreed to. Going to replace the engine mounts (collapses), replace the water pump, belt, complete tune up, adjust the valves, replace the alternator and starter, wash engine and repaint, etc... basically going through the engine from top to bottom. This will also give me a good base line for maintenance and give me a chance to replace the hoses in the engine compartment (as needed), go through the shaft and drive train, secure the loose wiring, and clean up / paint the engine compartment.

By the way, two budgets received to date completely overhaul the Yanmar engine was $6,000 to $9,000. (ouch!!!) Everything I am talking about above will costs $2,000 to $2,800.
Clean up (maybe even paint) and keep the old parts on the boat for emergency spares if they still work. Spray with rust preventitive and seal in a plastic bad.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook