SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post

Between l’Aber Wrach (North Brittany) and Cowes we kept all the sail (full main + solent) up in 25 knts on a broad reach. With nice, long, 3m high waves and gusts up to 35 knts the average speed was around 14 knts with some wonderful long and thrilling surfs up to 21 knts, without ever feeling out of control.

I wouldn’t really dare to sail it with the keel up, not because of stability but because this makes the boat behave like a lightweight long-keeler. This is indeed a very unnatural and inefficient configuration, as we experienced when manoeuvring in windy conditions. Long live the bow thruster!

Eric, on the first sail 21K I needed 4 years to sail the Bavaria 36 at 11K

Where are the photos?

A double congratulation to you and many of those hours of sailing pleasure with your boat.

Regarding sailing the boat with the keel up, I am sure I am right and I mean just bringing the boat to the marina or passing shallow waters. You can do it safely with light winds or with the boat reefed. No need to turn the engine on.

Think: even with the keel up the boat will come back for 90º of heel. You that are used to sail a dinghy will not be able to let go the sails if the boat heels more than 45º?

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook