SailNet Community - View Single Post - West to East - Trans-Pacific to Japan
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012

Daily Alice is on a distinguished road
West to East - Trans-Pacific to Japan

I'm going backwards in more than one way...

Basically, I 'm slowly sorting through the variables involved in purchasing a good old boat, for a passage from Hawaii (or possibly the NA West Coast via Hawaii) to Kyushu, Japan, where I live. My budget is up to around $25K for the boat, I was thinking I could find something in the range of 31'-36'.

The used boat market is quite limited here in Japan (especially in my area), with few foreign boats represented -- and these are very pricey. If a Yamaha were suitable, it would be the Y-31C (not exported to NA). Here is a picture of a Yamaha 31C keel (+detached rudder). LWL: 8.7m (28'7"), Beam 3.37m (11'), Displacement: 3,350Kg (7370 lbs), Ballast 1,200Kg (2640 lbs),

Or 1980s Yamaha Y33 (fin with skeg keel).

Though there are some who have taken these boats across oceans, I was thinking these are not the best boats for the task. I am interested in boats into the 1980s which are going to have decent performance. I'm wondering what anyone thinks of these Yamahas, and also if anyone has other recommendations in my budget, for purchase and outfitting on the West Coast of North America? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook