SailNet Community - View Single Post - Genoa Sheets Fouling on Mast-monted Winches
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-21-2012 Thread Starter
pdqaltair

Genoa Sheets Fouling on Mast-monted Winches

Yup, I know good sheet management can minimize this--I've been sailing a long time and don't need the lecture--but I single hand a lot, often the sheets get to flog for a few moments, and the clew and winches seem to have a love affair, particularly when the wind freshens. And snagging a sheet on the mast is a great way to blow a perfectly good tack.

On many small boats and 2 of my former boats, it's normal to rig bungees to guide sheets away from trouble spots. I'm wondering, has anyone tried something like this on a larger boa with mast-mounted winches? They are about chest-high and mounted on opposing sides. I'm thinking a bungee on each side, starting about 2 feet above the winch, secured to the handle socket, and continuing to 2 feet below the winch, would keep the sheet from looping. It could be easily popped out to use the winch.

Thoughts? I hate drilling holes, but this seems practical. On my last boats, fittings were either pre-existing or used the mast track. I'm sure I can try a duct tape and line lash-up to test the idea, but if someone has been down this path--must have--that would be helpful. Searches were unproductive.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome