SailNet Community - View Single Post - A blue water sailer that can go in light winds
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
I don't agree. I'll grant you that there are some true, full-keel, light air pigs, but not all of them. Sailing in light air has a little to do with the boat and alot to do with knowing how to sail in light air. If you don't know how to keep a full keel boat moving in light air, you probably won't do much better with any other boat, because, the fundamental principles of sailing are exactly the same, whether you're on a full-keeler or a fin-keeler, and, if you can't keep one driving, you probably won't do very well with the other.

I frequently crew on a friend's old Alberg designed full keeler, and we consider light air our chance to beat some of the modern fin keel racers, not just on handicap, but scratch. We don't beat them all, because there are always a few guys who really know how to sail in light air, but it's amazing how many modern racers drop out and start their engines just because they can't keep them moving.

If you don't know how to sail you cannot move a sailboat but the difference between an old Alberg full keeler and a modern fast cruiser in light winds is HUGE, providing people know how to sail.

Just to give you an example and comparing an Alberg 30 with an Elan 31 sailing with 8K wind, the Elan is about 2 times faster.

More precisely, considering true wind:

at 40º the Alberg is making 3.1K; the Elan is making 5.2K.

at 60º the Alberg is makig 3.2K; the Elan is making 6.5K.

at 90º the Alberg is makig 3.0K; the Elan is making 6.7k.

at 130º the Alberg is makig 2.7K; the Elan is making 6.5k.

The Elan is a good cruising boat with a great interior and a very good stability. If we compare the Alberg 30 with an offshore cruiser more race oriented like the A31, those differences would be bigger.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook