SailNet Community - View Single Post - Genoa Sheets Fouling on Mast-monted Winches
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Genoa Sheets Fouling on Mast-monted Winches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Don't see a way to do this without drilling holes, but I expect it would work as long the the bungees could be kept tight enough.. you'd also have to fashion a piece to fit into the winch socket, of course.

Would they 'live there' all the time or be removable? You might use some small hook fittings for the bungees making them easily removable. We have small unobtrusive hooks to stow lazy jacks, something similar to that might do the job for you.

I don't mind drilling and tapping holes or placing rivets. I just want to avoid false starts.

Seems like a common problem. I've read posts where folks were snagging, but they never presented a workable solution. If it was a race boat--like my last boat--I'd remove the winches and clean-up the area. But I actually like the location of the winches and their utility for hoisting, reefing, and lifting deck cargo. She's a cat, so I have a nice broad, flat cabin top to stand on.

I think they would be permanent. The port winch is very seldom used (jib halyard on furler). Most days, the starboard winch is used once, to hoist the main. I'm thinking that if the bungee is tight, that would hold the fitting in the winch socket (perhaps a stub of PVC pipe, perhaps something more fitted).

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook