SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tom's Cove
Thread: Tom's Cove
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Tom's Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Toms Cove is always a questionable location, simply because the sand bars constantly shift along with the channels. The inlet is pretty much a piece of cake during slack tide, and if you are fortunate enough to find the cut through the sandbar just inside the inlet, you will find depths to 8 feet behind the tip of the island. Commercial watermen used to mark the cut with stakes driven into the mud, but the last time I was there, which was about three years ago, the stakes were gone and the old cut was filled in to a depth of just 4 feet.

Good Luck,

Gary
Exactly. I poked around in there once some years ago. Everything in the area moves around. The main channel is well marked, but out side of that, you're on your own.

I never really tried to anchor there, as I was always going in town, but if you are only stopping for the night it would save a lot of time.

Also remember there is a lot of tide; though there are no waves in that area, if you ground at high tide you could be there a while. At low tide, not so long.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook