SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tom's Cove
Thread: Tom's Cove
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 04-21-2012
pdqaltair

Re: Tom's Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Toms Cove is always a questionable location, simply because the sand bars constantly shift along with the channels. The inlet is pretty much a piece of cake during slack tide, and if you are fortunate enough to find the cut through the sandbar just inside the inlet, you will find depths to 8 feet behind the tip of the island. Commercial watermen used to mark the cut with stakes driven into the mud, but the last time I was there, which was about three years ago, the stakes were gone and the old cut was filled in to a depth of just 4 feet.

Good Luck,

Gary
Exactly. I poked around in there once some years ago. Everything in the area moves around. The main channel is well marked, but out side of that, you're on your own.

I never really tried to anchor there, as I was always going in town, but if you are only stopping for the night it would save a lot of time.

Also remember there is a lot of tide; though there are no waves in that area, if you ground at high tide you could be there a while. At low tide, not so long.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome