SailNet Community - View Single Post - West to East - Trans-Pacific to Japan
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: West to East - Trans-Pacific to Japan

Alice,

The newer Yamaha's sound like newer Jeanneau's as compared to my 85 Jeanneau. You have just described what is going on in sailboat design. Faster, many times stiffer funner sailing boats etc.

Issue being when crossing a pond, when are you going to do it? at the height of Hurricane/cyclone season? mid winter? or plan a crossing when reasonable trade winds if you will are going to get 15-30 knot daily winds......anything can handle this type of sailing in an open ocean etc. I'd do it in my barely not quite 30' Jeanneau. It was also designed as an off shore 2-4 day trip boat. Not sure it truly has the tankage etc to go longer, but those are things one can work with if one is willing to plan a few things etc. IE installing a water maker instead of having 100 gals of water/drinkable fluid on the boat or a week or two.

The main thing to do is figure out if the build is strong enough to handle larger waves etc. How is the door setup? ie can it hold, lock out water if it is rough? not at cockpit floor level, but higher up, usually seat level. Is there an area in the cockpit you could put a life raft as it was designed..........Believe it or not, my 85 Jeanneau is setup that way, as are others in the 30-36' range. Catalina may not be, as are a few tartans.....but others may very well work, have what many would generically call off shore capable design factors built into them.

That is also not saying I would want to cross the pacific in my boat, granted it has the design spec to do so.....I have to admit, I would want something a bit bigger. I would do it with a few minor changes in the boat.

marty