SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hudson River- Mast unstepping
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Hudson River- Mast unstepping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitzgerald View Post
Planning on doing the Hudson-Troy Canal in early June. Would appreciate advice on laying the mast down. Specifically, is the Castleton Boat Club Do-It-yourself method feasible for a 50 ft. mast? (I'm too old to go up the mast anymore.) Riverview Marine Svcs. looks like it's positioned for two days of riding the tide from Midtown? Are there any others?
It looks like you are getting ready to transit the Champlain Canal (jeez, I feel like Microsoft's annoying Clippie saying that). I helped a friend transit his power boat through that canal last Autumn.

Active Captain, the crowdsourcing site, rates both those facilities with 5 stars. I have no experience with either to pass on, but regardless of which you use I'd recommend you join Active Captain (if you haven't already) and share your experiences there after you drop your mast. Besides, Active Captain first choice sponsors offer discounts to members (sadly neither of those facilities is a sponsor). Active Captain is free to join and is a great way to find good info from your fellow boaters about facilities.

If you don't know the Champlain Canal well, I also recommend perusing the state of New York's Canal web site. This page contains bridge height info. This page displays a table of pass prices for duration vs boat length. In addition, I consider getting one of the canal books with navigational charts an absolute requirement. The Hudson has a number of mud flats and navigational restrictions that are not necessarily obvious from the water.

The Champlain Canal is easily transited in two days. If you can go the canal speed limit (10 mph) and don't get stuck behind someone slow (e.g. a tug and tow) you can do the entire thing in one day if you start at 7 AM when the canal locks open for business. Commercial traffic has priority, though, so it isn't always possible even with a speedy boat.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook