SailNet Community - View Single Post - A blue water sailer that can go in light winds
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Look, I am going to get in trouble for saying this, but what is it about Americans, well actually all of the western world come to think of it Australia included, that we require a certificate, or stamp of some kind of 'standard' to tell us whether we can sail a certain boat across an ocean or not???

If a bunch of geeks on panel tell me a boat is 'certified' category A then I guess I can just hop right on board and sail off into the blue yonder with my family trusting all is good?? If I could just get the geeks to programme the waypoints into my GPS and then get some weather geeks to model the weather and then I won't have to think for myself at all

I think if you need any kind of standard to determine for YOU whether your boat is or is not suitable to cross an ocean than you really have no business crossing oceans.
I am not saying that standard should be mandatory. That is another discussion. The purpose of the RCD is to give information to not knowledgeable consumers about boat stability and seaworthiness.

Those minimum requirements while disputable were set by a large body of NA and it will provide some valuable information to the ones that know nothing about boat stability or boat seaworthiness.

It is up to the consumer to set their one rules about what he considers the minimum requirements in what regards a boat to go offshore...at his own risk, even if the insurance companies will probably refuse to insure for offshore a boat that has not been classified as class A by the RCD.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook