SailNet Community - View Single Post - A blue water sailer that can go in light winds
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am not saying that standard should be mandatory. That is another discussion. The purpose of the RCD is to give information to not knowledgeable consumers about boat stability and seaworthiness.

Those minimum requirements while disputable were set by a large body of NA and it will provide some valuable information to the ones that know nothing about boat stability or boat seaworthiness.

It is up to the consumer to set their one rules about what he considers the minimum requirements in what regards a boat to go offshore...at his own risk, even if the insurance companies will probably refuse to insure for offshore a boat that has not been classified as class A by the RCD.

Regards

Paulo
I agree Paulo,

It is useful for sure, as is the stability curve, Displacement to Length ratio, what the guy at the end of the bar thinks and any and all other information out there. In fact A category A Ocean rating is a great indicator that a boat is a suitable contender for bluewater sailing. It just seems some folk want it to be a guarantee that a boat is capable of doing something that is inherently a risk taking venture.

My issue is philosophical, surely if you are going to round a cape, then being able to understand and comprehend yacht design for oneself, and make a decision about what kind of craft you would consider appropriate and how to sail that boat in all conditions is something to figure out for oneself. Offshore sailing is about being self reliant and making self assessments and judgements without someone telling you what to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook