SailNet Community - View Single Post - A blue water sailer that can go in light winds
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
If you don't know how to sail you cannot move a sailboat but the difference between an old Alberg full keeler and a modern fast cruiser in light winds is HUGE, providing people know how to sail.

Just to give you an example and comparing an Alberg 30 with an Elan 31 sailing with 8K wind, the Elan is about 2 times faster.

More precisely, considering true wind:

at 40º the Alberg is making 3.1K; the Elan is making 5.2K.

at 60º the Alberg is makig 3.2K; the Elan is making 6.5K.

at 90º the Alberg is makig 3.0K; the Elan is making 6.7k.

at 130º the Alberg is makig 2.7K; the Elan is making 6.5k.

The Elan is a good cruising boat with a great interior and a very good stability. If we compare the Alberg 30 with an offshore cruiser more race oriented like the A31, those differences would be bigger.

Regards

Paulo
I don't know where these polars came from or who was at the wheel or what sail configuration was used but I can tell you my A35 (very similar to the A30 in design) goes a hell of a lot faster than 3 knots with 8 knots of wind on a beam reach. With 160 genny and full main, I am doing closer to 6 knots, still relatively slow when compared to modern hull designs but not THAT slow.