SailNet Community - View Single Post - A blue water sailer that can go in light winds
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post

My issue is philosophical, surely if you are going to round a cape, then being able to understand and comprehend yacht design for oneself, and make a decision about what kind of craft you would consider appropriate and how to sail that boat in all conditions is something to figure out for oneself. Offshore sailing is about being self reliant and making self assessments and judgements without someone telling you what to do.
That's my time to agree

Even if I would gladly take an Elan 310 on a duo racing tarnsat (because I like the idea and the race gives a warranty of a quick help if something goes wrong) I would not have one for doing extensive blue water sailing. For doing that I consider that among the modern cruisers the right size is between 38 and 45 ft (if you sail mostly solo). Not saying that you cannot do it with a good security margin on a 36ft but that is just what I would prefer.

As important as the boat size is the boat condition and equipment. Boats are not different than cars, if you have an older one, even with good maintenance you are more prone that something goes wrong. It can never happen, just a statistic possibility. Insurance companies understand that very well. Have a look at the premiums increase as the boat go older.

But most of all the knowledge and experience of the sailor is paramount to the boat safety.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook