SailNet Community - View Single Post - A blue water sailer that can go in light winds
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Re: A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Of course the modern designs are capable of pointing higher and footing faster than the old Albergs. I never said they weren't. But they can't do it all by themselves. The modern designs still need someone who knows how to maximize their boatspeed and minimize their drag. Giving such a boat to a guy who lacks the skill to sail it is like giving an Indy racer to a high school hot rodder. He won't know what to do with it. It makes more sense to first learn how to sail a boat in light air, and then buy a boat that will allow him to make the most of his skills. If he doesn't know how to maximize the boat's potential, then he's wasting it's potential.

Maybe I am misconstruing this thread, but it sounds an awful lot like the OP is asking what kind of boat will make him a good light air sailor. If so, the answer is "No boat will do that." He would do better to ask "How can I become a good light air sailor?" But, he doesn't even need to do that. He can just search the archives for some of Jeff_H's discussions of the subject. Jeff knows how to sail in light air, and explains it clearly.

Too many people think all they need to sail in light air is a light air sailboat, and all they need to hit long, straight golf shots is a fine set of clubs. It doesn't work that way. Too bad, because I could be a great golfer if only I had a great set of clubs.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 04-22-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook