SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Single-Handed
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012
hydroholic

Sail The World is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Single-Handed

i'm still learning so i'm not one to give advice, but for what it's worth:

i sailed for the first few times as crew on a buddy's 28 footer. he races so that's how i learned. i actually bought my boat before i went sailing for the first time. crazy move but i somehow picked the right boat. i got a vandestadt & mcgruer siren 17. so far i have sailed her a few times and i love the boat. love it. we were definitely meant to be together LOL. i have single handed her a few times and it's really all about practice. and being physically able to manage your equipment.

i never set foot on a sunfish, although i don't see anything wrong with learning on a sunfish if that's what is available... and in hindsight if i had bought a sunfish instead of my siren i'd probably be able to go out alone more often because stepping the mast would be easier.

anyway, on my buddy's boat we have gone racing in some very aggressive weather, something i would never want to be out in my smaller boat on. that said, if i planned on taking long boat trips across open water i would want to be in a big full keel boat. however, knowing that i am not yet even close to ready to take that type of trip, i went with the smaller boat and it turns out to be perfect.

good luck

PS as far as picking the larger boat to sail rougher waters, wait until you are ready to sail big water. i would have been calling the coast guard if i was out alone on my boat rather then with other people on my friends larger boat in the weather i described above.
if i had a small lake nearby i'd be learning there on a sunfish and then stepping up when i was ready.

Last edited by Sail The World; 04-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook