SailNet Community - View Single Post - America's Cup - anyone else interested?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
I think they are trying to break the "routine"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
What is that all about anyway? Prelim races on a 45 and the AC on a 72? If I'm not mistaken, the 72s won't ever race until the event itself.
I will say that if they get a routine going of pitchpoling these things in most races, viewership will return. People like a good wreck. Almost as good, crew being blown or thrown off the boat and recovered by chase boats. It's like a skier wiping out and still getting up.
However, these are not what the AC is about. It will be interesting to see if they even care about viewership. The wealthy competitors don't, IMHO. Never did. Its more personal.
According to the AC site, the 72's will be used for the Louis Vuitton Cup, 04 July – 1 September 2013 and America’s Cup Match (Finals): 7-22 September 2013. Both in SF
I can assure you they are training to AVOID pitch poling. If you've seen the video of Coutts falling through the wing of a 45 in SF, you know it's no joke. He gave up the helm position shortly thereafter. Coincidence?
Obviously, pitchpoling a 72 could be catastrophic. A fall from the upended hull alone could be over 5 stories (IF the sailor is lucky enough to hit the water)!

Last edited by L124C; 04-22-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook