SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hobbies as a Liveaboard?

9K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  OziDude 
#1 ·
Howdy all,

My family and I are getting our house ready to sell and expect to attain liveaboard status some time next year.

One of the few things that is really difficult for me is to give up my one hobby. Over the last few years, I've become pretty good at hand forging custom knives. However, I realize that there is just no way to put a smithy on a fiberglass boat. So my shop is being sold off and the proceeds will help us get onto our boat.

My question is, what kinds of hobbies to those who liveaboard have as a creative outlet? I've considered silversmithing as it takes a much smaller setup than blacksmithing does. My wife enjoys making beaded jewelry, so silversmithing could be a good complement to that.

Personally, I am not musically inclined and my drawing skills are limited to stick-figures. :p So those two are out.

What else is out there to keep the creative juices flowing but not crowd the boat or self destruct in the humid marine environment?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

- Mike :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am a firm believer that hobbies keep your mind active and help you forget your busy day. For me, the boat is my hobby so fixing it, changing it, sailing it is the way that I relax. It sounds to me like your hobbies are very interesting. Would I be wrong in suggesting that perhaps you might reconsider a live aboard considering your interests?

#3 ·
Well in character with stringing bead necklaces and crafting silver jewelry, you could reenact the spirit of the '60s, by making macrame plant hangers, stained glass, and leather accouterments . . . ;) . I'm only joking, since among other diversions, we did all those "hobbies' back in our hippie phase.

Seriously though, we live aboard in the summertime and do share Surfesq's opinion. If you love boats like us and you have an older boat, you will find that sailing often and simply messing around with maintenance and upgrades, will be enough enjoyment and is sure to take up much of your free time.

#4 ·
Silversmithing sounds real good. Half the boats out there seem to be making beach jewelry and some boats survive on it. Your hobby might pay for your cruising if you have a flair for design. Get a rock tumbler, some Heineken bottles, some Bombay Blue Gin bottles and you'll have it made. Won't even have to spend hours on the beach looking for "beach glass". Beading is really big too so the two of you will do fine.

#5 ·
Always been my problem, all my hobbies require BIG tools, I like building things, and most of my hobby tools weigh in at 6 or 700 lbs each or better!
Figure with my hobbies, as much as I'd like I can't realy break land ties, I'd still need to own some land with at least a pole barn on it somewhere.

Ken.

#6 ·
My favorite hobby is varnishing old and worn out teak, then there are the main and mizzen that haven't seen paint since 1977, Oh, and how about the needed replacement articles such as running rigging, or, those turnbuckles and questionable swagged fittings.....did I mention the leaking stuffing box...too lazy lately to repack...I hear that TEFLON packing will end my worry....and there are the other hobbies, getting ready for winter (New England) making a shrink-wrap cover midships, between mizzen and main....I have a center-cockpit..........Heat....both Espars are working..good for another hobby if one chokes..............If I have extra time, I need to change oil in both my car and my pick-u p (has cap-is mobile storage) Have fun.......I hear bird carving affords easy space below......Much TV and browsing.........better yet, just go sailing and you won't need a hobby!:)

#7 ·
Well, obviously scultpure and such related arts are out. Music is out for you - that's too bad. Drawing and painting is out. What about photography? You'll just need to keep the camera body and lenses in a water tight box probably with silica gel. Or you could take up creative writing - just a pencil and paper - or laptop.

#8 ·
Varnishing is a great hobby for those with lots of brightwork...and a necessary one too. ;) I prefer photography, writing, and some jewelry design.

#9 ·
Cooking

I cook as a hobby. It is useful, interesting, creative, and adds to one's quality of life. And cooking on a boat is an added challenge. It's a bit of a leap from being a smithy...but you can take a lot of pride in producing a quality meal on a boat - and just think of how many friends you will make. Cheers.

#11 ·
hello! I realize this is a super old thread but i have questions and figure some current members can answer them too. I am new to this, this is my first post but i plan to introduce myself and my husband in another post, anyways....
I design and make jewelry now I do this as a hobby that does make me some nice xtra money here in Charleston, SC. I have a website and do many crafty things from painting, personalizing, photography, designing jewlery, invitations and the list goes on.....I think I could knock Martha on her feet if i had the funds she had to do so..... :)
We are as new as they come to the sailing lifestyle, and are doing our research to see if we want to sell it all and go! Of couse i'm the crafter and want to make things to sell as income during our adventures and help support us.
It would be a lovely thing to have 4 or 5 stores scattered around the caribbean selling 10 or so of my designs,or art, or photographs etc.....

How do you get your items into the stores of the caribbean to be sold?
Do any of you do this?

I'm not a "spammer" i wouldn't even know how to do that!

#15 ·
I dunno, it seems like a Hobie Cat is kind of small for a liveaboard. I lived aboard a Catalina 22 for 6 months, and that was pretty cramped...

Oh.. Hobbies, not Hobies...

Never mind.

David

#17 ·
We LOVED going out in the dink and exploring (of course, we are not Kidless), fixing the head that a 1yo stuffed with tp and began macerating, snorkeling, fixing the head that the 1yo stuck a matchbox car in and tried to macerate, walking the beach and collecting lots of different shells, fixing the head that didn't like the roll of paper towels that the 1yo tried to flush, searching the boat hide and seak style for my mysteriously mising tools that were... yes you guessed it, in the head.

Of course, telling you this, you really will stay kidless!!

HEHE! But it was all good.

- CD

#19 ·
We LOVED going out in the dink and exploring
in the dink or on the kayaks we love to explore the cliff, the point, caves; good stuff

searching the boat hide and seak style for my mysteriously mising tools that were... yes you guessed it, in the head.
Ya don't need a 1yo to enjoy this, I swear, one of these days I going to be at the pumpout and I'm going to see my missing watch go fly by that little window in the hose :(

HEHE! But it was all good.

- CD[/quote]

#18 ·
Ya know, CD, I'd bet that if you put the head way up there on the wall, about six feet above floor level, and maybe installed some creepy Halloween animatronics around it, the kids would never go near it.

Give 'em each two diapers, one to wear, one to wash, problem solved, right?

(VBG)

#23 ·
As for things (Hobbies) to do onboard. As a pending liveaboard I will have to make adjustments to my hobbies. I wont have the space, so my various collections will have to go or go into storage.

I am now looking at Photography, Writing and having some kind of online business as my hobbies.

Good Luck with your choices...

Ozi

#24 ·
....... I wont have the space, so my various collections will have to go or go into storage.......Ozi
I like to read and share on internet sites like this one, but I have a wonderful and prized collection that requires minimal storage space. I have about one hundred phone numbers for take-out pizza stored on my cell phone. These are for delivery to dinghy docks near anchorages from Penobscott Bay in Maine to Panama City. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.