SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

I want to do a yawl-conversion on my 18,200 lb Columbia 40 full-keeler...gonna be awhile though...need to address the steel skeleton though should just be preventative...like drenching it with rust-inhibitor...will eliminate it altogether down the road..and then the hydraulic-armed centerboard...same thing for now...rust-inhibitor...then I don't know until further examination of the components... but need to fix and re-enforce the foredeck first actually...got a sweet drop-forged 6"x6" base ss sampson post from old-school days I am gonna put there...yawl-conversion eventually as I said is a possibilty,,and might not be too much more costly than a self-steering system or a new but usually questionable autopilot...I know that being narrow at 10' 6" the boat will be a failry wet ride at hull speed(7.16 kts) but she should be fairly stable surfing and she can punch through oncoming chop I am sure...and the thing is like the rock of gibraltar at anchor in 20 mph winds...sippin rum...wish I was on her now...I love her...Yes..am still in honeymoon stage...don't ruin it...fin-keelers are fine...whatever.. Just happy with what I got...and that is.... a boat I feel can go alot of places...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-22-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook