SailNet Community - View Single Post - practicing with sextant on land
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012

tony9 is on a distinguished road
Re: practicing with sextant on land

Thanks AdamLein for the detailed explanation on the intercept method. In the interlude I've been off reading more about celestial navigation and the St. Hilaire's intercept method. I'm slowly wrapping my brain around the methods. To make things easier, I've been reading about coastal navigation and running fixes. Fitting the vector representing the travel distance and bearing between two lines of position, I think, is similar to St Hilaire intercept method with the Azimuth and bearing between the deduced reckoning latitude and the observed latitude. Now that the weather has turned sunny, I've had a chance to work the mechanics of the sextant and have more data to play with. The Celestial app for Android is a bit of a black box and I need to figure out what corrections it's making and not making.

I've tried a couple of artificial horizons, one was a mirror levelled with a digital level and the second was a bucket of water. The bucket was more convenient to move to sunny areas but is rippled by any breeze. The mirror took a few minutes to level each time it was moved but isn't affected by brreeze.

Last edited by tony9; 04-23-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook