SailNet Community - View Single Post - West to East - Trans-Pacific to Japan
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 04-23-2012 Thread Starter
Daily Alice

Re: West to East - Trans-Pacific to Japan

Yes, I will probably need to up by outfitting budget and/or reduce my original purchase price, or both. Like I wrote in my post, I was giving a "lowball" figure, not my maximum. Things always end up over-budget, and I do want to at least contemplate efficient expenditures. But things like electronics and safety gear are simply necessities. Finding a boat with radar installed and operational would be worthwhile, etc. (I could go on, into the details...)

I'm informed by James Baldwin's efforts:

"Boat Improvement Projects" here
Atom Voyages - Articles

other pages throughout, like here:
Atom Voyages - Planning

Also have several books to work from, on offshore outfitting, as well as some of my acquaintances here who have done a bit. Always looking to gather more information though. Much will depend on what I can find at a discount, looking at DIY/creative options. Though spending properly where it needs doing. I could also luck into a boat which isn't needing as so much work to outfit. I've noticed there are boats occasionally listed in Mexico (e.g. Mazatlan), on Yachtworld -- read mixed reports on purchase there -- though the boats though have been outfitted, to get there. Any suggestions are always welcome.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome