SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kitchen equipment.
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Kitchen equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
...unpacking it and ultimately having to pack it all up again is a pita. the small amount of space saved is not worth the inconvenience. OTOH .... on a 30'er I may well have different thoughts.
As someone sailing a 30'er I agree. Storage space is a real issue for us. I went with the Magma nesting non-stick. Easy clean up, stores inside the oven and the handles are solid when they're attached. A collapsible strainer, rectangular melamine plates that don't waste space in narrow cabinets, dollar store plastic spatulas and soup spoons and a good set of tongs were all chosen with size in mind.

I added an all clad 9Ē stainless sautee pan for when I want to get a good sear or do a sauce from the caramelized bits. All clad calls this a French skillet. For me the important thing is I can fit a 9Ē pan into the cabinet, but not a standard sized pan. Our first tableware set started to rust right away, the current set is a bit better quality and is on its third season. We do paper plates and plasticware too, but sometimes it's nice to each on real plates with real silverware.

I have a couple of Wustof knives in a block attached to our backsplash that donít seem to mind the salt air.

Iíve also focused on reducing the size of containers. I have a small olive oil bottle that I refill and Iíve recycled some of the smaller spice containers to save space. Leftovers go into two small containers instead of one big one to fit the fridge better. Cutting boards do double duty. One covers the stove when not in use and one covers a side of the double sink. Together they add a lot of counter space.

I think it also depends on whether you weekend or live aboard. I usually cook stews in the dutch oven at home and bring them to the boat in smaller containers to reheat. Thereís just nowhere to keep the thing on the boat.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook