SailNet Community - View Single Post - Over Powered in 30 knots?
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 04-24-2012 Thread Starter
Blue Horizons
Re: Over Powered in 30 knots?

Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Why didn't you just fire up that iron Jenny and use it in conjunction with the sails? As for the motor's power, yep 8-HP would be fine on a cal day with no tide, but the boat is still underpowered IMO. My old 27 Catalina had a 30-HP Atomic-4 in her and I never had a problem with conditions such as those you described. However, I have a friend who had a Catalina 30-T that had a puny 11-HP diesel. He had to wait for slack tide sometimes in order to get up the channel to the marina, and that was with just a 15-MPH wind and 3-knot tide.

Good luck on your trip back home,

Because I have an engine problem that allows oil or fuel (haven't diagnosed 100%) to get where it is not supposed to. This means that after a few minutes under load my engine will proceed to "run-away."
This means I have a working engine for docking and short-term interval usage. Yes I understand this is not optimal. However I have already replaced the transmission and shelled out 800$ for governor work that did not fix the problem.. I either sit at the dock and wait for money or I go sailing.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome