SailNet Community - View Single Post - Over Powered in 30 knots?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Over Powered in 30 knots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Why didn't you just fire up that iron Jenny and use it in conjunction with the sails? As for the motor's power, yep 8-HP would be fine on a cal day with no tide, but the boat is still underpowered IMO. My old 27 Catalina had a 30-HP Atomic-4 in her and I never had a problem with conditions such as those you described. However, I have a friend who had a Catalina 30-T that had a puny 11-HP diesel. He had to wait for slack tide sometimes in order to get up the channel to the marina, and that was with just a 15-MPH wind and 3-knot tide.

Good luck on your trip back home,

Gary
Because I have an engine problem that allows oil or fuel (haven't diagnosed 100%) to get where it is not supposed to. This means that after a few minutes under load my engine will proceed to "run-away."
This means I have a working engine for docking and short-term interval usage. Yes I understand this is not optimal. However I have already replaced the transmission and shelled out 800$ for governor work that did not fix the problem.. I either sit at the dock and wait for money or I go sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook