SailNet Community - View Single Post - Balsa cored hulls
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Balsa cored hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
I am wondering if todays materials and lamination techniques have eased the concerns about balsa cored hulls. Quite a few highly respected builders are still using balsa coring (Malo, Regina, Dehler just to name a few), and one would assume that they have been successful with this type of construction, or they would have abandonned the idea long ago...
A little research also yielded the same concerns with foam coring, which supposedly deteriorates between the laminates as well, and there are some concerns regarding adhesion of PVC and epoxy resins.
What are your thoughts?
The others you mentionI don't know but Dehler that had built balsa cored boats for many years is changing. I don't know why but building with balsa is cheaper than building with a high end foam and I am sure it is no better. I know particularly the Dehler 41 where the cheap version has balsa core and normal resins while the expensive version (lighter and stronger) is made with epoxy resins and top foam core.

I have observed that more traditional brands still use balsa and more modern and technical boats use almost all some kind of hi-tech foam and epoxy or vinilester resins. I guess they have a good reason to do that and it is not price for sure.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook