SailNet Community - View Single Post - Changing Tack, Ideas About the Next Boat
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing Tack, Ideas About the Next Boat

Mooring can be very helpful on the wallet...I have done it for 4 years and am on my 4th boat...I launch my dinghy from a small patch of beach w/public access right-of-way due to a storm sewer at end of a road where it dead-ends into the bay....Any beach will do if you have a truck to haul the dinghy to near your mooring...I use a dolly I made to push my dinghy down the street anright into the bay and float it off...then stash it in the bushes until I get back from the boat which is about 400 yards offshore in 7 feet of water...If I were you I'd consider finding a much cheaper and plentiful older project boat with a strong hull and good rigging and good interior in the 33-36 foot range...and work on her a bit every week...but has a good enough interior for the wife and kids as a inshore daysailer in the meantime...Then, in a couple years you might have a good boat you are comfortable with that is bigger, laid out for singlehand the way you want and for half the price of buying one on the market...by then you might need this size-range and you'll have a boat that might be good for extended bahamas trip...But you have young children and a full-time job I presume...But...

... I would not want to venture very far offshore with a family or several people in "most"boats under 33-34 feet for even a weekend and definitely not a long one-two week bahamas venture...Bahamas is better I have heard if you can arrive there laden with water and food for your trip...due to the costs...so an old late 70's early 80's IOR like a Catalina,Hunter Ranger,Pearson etc..33-36 footer needing projects done but in decent shape is going to be in the $10,000-20,000 range and able to carry alot of supplies and your crew...and still be fun and roomy daysailer...Marina are nice because its easier to work on the boat...on mooring you only have some hours in the mornings before the wind pipes up and it gets a bit harder to work on projects...obviously an over-size anchor and lots of chain rode helps you sleep...or sleep better...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook