SailNet Community - View Single Post - Changing Tack, Ideas About the Next Boat
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012

snider is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing Tack, Ideas About the Next Boat

Thanks for the reply. I should have added that I'm absolutely DONE with project boats. Most of my boats in the past have been projects. The ones that weren't were a dream. My current Starwind has been sitting in the backyard for over a year while I've replaced the starboard side settee, hanging locker and chainplates. I also painted the interior. The list is still pretty long but hopefully I'll splash her in a month or two. I hate to think of all of the sailing we've missed working on this boat. I'd rather pay a premium and get a turn key boat. I don't mind replacing some running or standing rigging but anything much more than that, no thanks.

As for small boats. I want the smallest boat that'll meet our needs. I've been offshore in some small boats and large boats, there have been a few times I have been worried, once on a Beneteau 393 rounding hatteras , another on my Beneteau First 235 during an offshore race. Truthfully the loads on the 393 were so great that I was more intimidated on the bigger boat. Not to mention the winches were undersized. I was much more comfortable and always felt in control on the 235. An Albin Vega 27 just circumnavigated the Americas, including the horn. So I think overall size matters less than the design and build quality of the boat, as well as prudent seamanship. It's also a good way to keep costs down. Sails, hauling, bottom paint all go up exponentially with size. My wife is intimidated by most boats that are pushing over 30. I'm sure she'd grow comfortable if I get her out on some bigger boats, but all of our sailing together so far have been on boats 30 feet and less. I'd love to have a J/34c or J/35C, but they are not in the budget. So while I respectfully disagree, thanks again for the reply.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook