SailNet Community - View Single Post - shoal draft keel vs regular keel
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: shoal draft keel vs regular keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Peter:
There is no substitute for draft in terms of performance. Of course I sail on Puget Sound where the water is deep so draft is not an issue here. I'm lucky. I tell clents that draft is a "personal problem". If you can't sail in your chosen cruising ground due to draft then that is not "good performance". Personally I would not want a shoal draft boat.

You might also find that in addition to poor performance on the wind the shoal draft boat will give up some stability.

I am curious if you would be able to give your opinion of the many Charlie Morgan's shoal-drafters...perhaps even especially the Morgan Columbia 40. Morgan seems to have designed more than his share of shoal-draught vessels over the years...though I have never sailed one..or even on one. Seafarer and McCurdy Rhodes seemed to have built alot of 'em too.My old Seafarer 24 was a good boat but I sold her before really trying to sail her upwind very much unfortunately.(or fortunately).

If I am correct then shoal-draft c/b boats evolved from sharpie-style workboats originally and so may have never been meant for much other than coastal work but I hope to do alot more than that with the old Morgan Columbia-40 I just acquired...
It has a 4'6"draft and 9-foot w/centerboard which the hydraulic-system is probably shot to hell with rust but I hope to re-engineer...or fix the existing one...I appreciate any of your thoughts you might have on that model...there wasn't many made...(54 or 55) I am wondering if I should try to re-hab of the hydraulic c/b if it's not too far gone.. Or go in a different direction such as convert to a swing keel of some sort,etc.?

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-25-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook