SailNet Community - View Single Post - removing decals from transom
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Re: removing decals from transom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I assumed that the yellower, creamier shade of white that formed the shadow behind our boat's old name was the original shade of white, vs. the whiter bleached color of the boat overall. Meaning the shadow was "correct" and all the rest would need to be brought back to that color. Turns out I kind of like the shadow--ghosts of names past and all that--yeah, and it's easier
I just changed my boat name, and sort of favor Arf's approach. Your choices are to obsess over a slight shadow, trying to make an older boat look like new, or you can remove all the adhesive with a solvent, rub the old shadows with a little rubbing compound to lighten the image, and then apply the new name and forget about the slight shadow. It will fade after a year or two in the sun and salt. The other choice is to abrade it until it completely disappears, in which case you might have removed so much of the gelcoat that you might have to paint the transom to hide the exposed fiberglass cloth. To me, that's more unacceptable than just letting it fade naturally for a couple years. Even if it doesn't fade completely, it won't seem that important to you by that time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook