SailNet Community - View Single Post - Changing Tack, Ideas About the Next Boat
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Changing Tack, Ideas About the Next Boat

Years ago, I lived and sailed out of Savannah and kept a boat in Charleston. Its a great place to live but it means that your quest is not simple. Getting a boat which offers the level of accommodations that you would like is pretty easy, but I would respectfully suggest that you also need a boat which can deal with the strong currents, is safe offshore, has good anchoring gear, and is shoal draft. I would also suggest taht while keeping a boat in the water at a marina is expensive, if you live anywhere near your boat, you will get a lot more use out of a boat which is rigged and ready to go vs launch and hauled each time. I always point out that may make the boat cheaper per hour of use.

If I had to think of one boat within your price range that meets all of that, my initial reaction would be something like the keel/centerboard Tartan 34. These represent a nice mix of good build quality and a nicely evolved design. The Centerboard means less draft, and yet the point very well. Many of these boats were raced and so have upgraded hardware and sail inventories. They have an inboard engine and are surprisingly fast for a boat of their era.

But there are other nice options out there. A few which spring to mind would be;
Bristol 33/34: This little known model was a nice mix of good build quality and excellent sailing ability. 1971 Bristol 34 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

C&C 34: Centerboard version

Cal 34: A typically lower buget option.

Hunter 34: (1980's) While Hunters are often maligned, this was a very nice design that sailed well and was reasonably well constructed. You need a very thorough survey on these boats, but a good example might make a reasonable choice for what you want to do.

J-34 C: This might be out of your price range and should not be mistaken for the 34 IOR.

Pearson 10M: These are a little deep, but they are nice sailing boats that can be purchased very cheaply.

Sabre 34 (centerboarder): Again a very nice mix of build quality and sailing ability for that era.
\
More Later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook