SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
PCP

I love traditional boats and old boats and it make all sense to preserve those boats and even in some cases to build replicas, but not because they sail better. Just because they represent the best it was made at that time. They all will certainly offer great sailing....but obviously not an overall better sailing than a modern designed boat, otherwise modern boats would only be improvements of those designs and not completely different boats.

You are just being silly with comments like that. What on earth does "sail better" mean?

For me, its a long keeled boat every time. I have owned one for 20 years, a Union Polaris 36. If it sank (heaven forbid), I would buy another one.

I have sailed on deep fin boats. They are faster, they point higher, but they are not for me. They don't "sail better" for me. They never will. All that helm correction and tweaking? You can keep it.

Give me a 36 ft boat, 22,000 lb displacement, and a full keel cast into the fibreglass. You can have your deep fin keels, and bolt them on, and you can point higher and go faster. You can even have one of those lovely spade rudders too.

As for "Sail better"?... for you, yes, but not for me, no matter when it was built.
I could not have put that better myself. As far as reversing in tight marinas goes, I have a bow thruster in mine that takes the guesswork out of that as well.

ATB

Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook