SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Re: Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy

Smack-

I'm not trolling for an argument. Just wanted to add a little more perspective. I don't disagree that in racing accidents can happen resulting in injury or even death; but in the case of comparing this to a NASCAR event or other racing sport, can you recall a recent event where 5 people in race cars were killed because someone cut a corner too tight or took too big of a risk? The only thing I can think of was the Reno Air Race; which were mostly spectators and the accident was also preventable (don't put the stands so close to the race course). The reason injury or death in racing cars are so few today is because of the continuous development of safety equipment and engineering of the protective cages in the race cars. I don't see a problem with using a technology like GPS to improve racecourse safety in events which require sailors to take ever increasing risk to shave time off of their ET to win.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook