SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Bryan Chong's first hand recount of the Low Speed Chase tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Smack-

I'm not trolling for an argument. Just wanted to add a little more perspective. I don't disagree that in racing accidents can happen resulting in injury or even death; but in the case of comparing this to a NASCAR event or other racing sport, can you recall a recent event where 5 people in race cars were killed because someone cut a corner too tight or took too big of a risk?
Apples and oranges comparison, seems to me...

Had there been 7 other passengers riding along with Dan Wheldon in his Indy Car last fall at Las Vegas, pretty good odds most of them would be dead, as well...

Likewise, had LOW SPEED CHASE been sailed singlehanded, at the most one sailor might have been lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
I don't see a problem with using a technology like GPS to improve racecourse safety in events which require sailors to take ever increasing risk to shave time off of their ET to win.
Undoubtedly, that will be the case in future Farallons races... Still, it will offer no guarantees or assurance of safety. Should the boats be required, for example, to stand a certain distance off the Marin Headlands, or the South Tower, as well? Disqualified for passing over the Potato Patch? Prohibited from using a spinnaker on the ride back if winds are recorded above a certain strength?

Ultimately, these decisions and judgments best be left with the sailors, themselves... Might be a good time to re-read Chong's eloquent articulation of what draws these sailors to such a challenge, to begin with...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook