SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safety at Sea by MTAM
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Safety at Sea by MTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
I need to add this; if you are on your boat and the SAR helo drops a line to you in preparation of lowering a basket, do not hook the line to your boat. Just hold it. Hooking the line to your boat puts the helo in danger. Also to prevent a shock to you prior to grabbing the line try to let it touch the boat 1st, or better yet the water. Also if you are in your inflatable raft consider sinking or partial sinking your raft when the helo is very close. This will be difficult to do so sink it when rescue is assured. A fully inflated empty raft can become airborne and fly into the rotor.

Jerry
Static discharge on the helo line is covered in the course. Not tying it to the boat was the first thing I remember the USCG Lt Cdr telling us. He was a helo pilot and was rather passionate about that point.

I don't recall the suggestion to sink the raft. I have to believe that is going to be mentally hard for the average ranger to do. Are the rescue swimmers instructed to do so? I've never heard of it before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook