SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012

MarkusM is on a distinguished road
Cal 28 Vs. Catalina 27 livaboard

Hello Everyone,
this is my first post here. I have been dreaming about living aboard a sailboat for many years.

I am looking at 2 boats at the moment. A Cal 28 1966 built in Canada and a Catalina 27 1974 Dinette layout.

The Cal has new standing rigging, a dodger and a full bimini, auto tiller, gps and depth sounder, VHF, 3 jibs, spinnaker and main sail. as well as 2hp kicker and 8hp outboard. but no stove or burner but a bbq.

The Catalina has a 15 hp motor, 2 jib and mainsail but no spinnaker. depth sounder VHF, tiller steering but no auto tiller, it has a propane stove with 2 burners and an one. bottom painted 2010

They are both about the same price.

I am 6'2" so headroom is important. I am also going to live on alone full-time but with my girlfriend on weekends and in the summer.

I have found a lot of information about the catalina but not as much about the older Cal. All the information I found on the cal was mostly for the Cal 28-2.

The boat would be used for cruising on the weekends and in the summer for multiple weeks in the golf islands and desolation sound.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Markus

Last edited by MarkusM; 04-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook